Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Tasty Tuesday!

Welcome to my first official Tasty Tuesday! I'm pretty excited about my new endeavor. I have wanted to get better at cooking for so long, it's time I just took the bull by the horns. I hope that somewhere along the way, you get some fun recipes out of it too and by all means... feel free to participate and share some recipes!!

Okay, now on to the good stuff. I found this recipe in a Better Homes & Gardens book and decided to give it a whirl. It seemed pretty easy (which is a good starting place for me) so we got the ingredients needed and I took off running... I tried to take pictures all along the way, but I was so focused on cooking, that I didn't quite remember all the time. In any case - here's a little photo story of my dinner.

Chicken & Prosciutto Pasta

You will need the following ingredients:
  • 12 oz Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts (cut into 1/2 inch thick bite-size strips)
  • 2 Cups of dried Penne Pasta
  • 4 oz Sliced Prosciutto or Ham (coarsely chopped)
  • 1/2 Yellow Sweet Pepper (cut into bite-size strips)
  • 1 - 15 oz Jar of Marinara Sauce
  • 1 - 10 oz Jar of Alfredo Sauce
  • 1 Tablespoon of Olive Oil
  • 2 Cloves of Garlic, minced
  • Parmesan Cheese to sprinkle on top
  • Casserole Dish
When you've got it all together, it should look a little something like this:


Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
  1. I started by preparing the penne pasta according to the package and then set that aside.
  2. Then I cooked the chicken breasts with olive oil and garlic in a skillet, and after it had gotten started for a few minutes, I added the prosciutto and peppers.
  3. Once the chicken is done, with no pink left, I drained off the grease and then added the pasta to the chicken and prosciutto mix. Like this -

4.  I sprayed the casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray and pour half the mixture for bottom layer.
5.  Pour 2 cups of the marinara sauce on top, followed by all of the alfredo sauce on top of that.
6.  Then I poured the rest of the chicken and pasta mixture in as the next layer.
7.  Pour the rest of the marinara sauce on top and then sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
I should have had more pictures of the layering, but I was too distracted. I'll get better! But here's what it looked like before it went into the oven:

8.  Baked for 25-30 minutes and VOILA! My first Tasty Tuesday.

It was pretty good! I learned that pasta cooks even after you pull it off, so you really should take it off the fire a little bit before it's done so it doesn't get soggy. Also, I learned that I kinda like yellow sweet peppers. I'd like to thank Better Homes & Gardens for that super dee duper easy recipe. :o) What should I learn to cook next week? What have YOU cooked this week?

No comments: