Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Word of Mouth Adoption?

There's something that feels strange about marketing your "Hoping to Adopt" status... and yet that's what everyone is telling me we're supposed to be doing. Apparently, the best way to get placed is by word of mouth. They say you should be making sure everyone knows you plan to adopt. I mean, that makes sense I guess, and of course everyone knows we're trying to adopt... I mean, I've basically been shouting it from the rooftops, but I guess I should also be trying to make sure I get the word out to as many people as possible.

I have created a blog that is dedicated to our adoption profile, that should be a good start. If you read my blog very often, you may have noticed my new addition in the side columns.. You can now link to our LDS Family Services profile, and to our Adoption Blog from here. I spent quite a bit of time on our adoption blog actually, I'm quite pleased with the final product. :o) If you have a few minutes, you should definitely check it out. I also created a FB page for our adoption called Tim n Leah Adopt, so be sure to send me a friend request! And Pass Along Cards... yep, I ordered them. And it felt weird. Like business cards? Well, let's think about this objectively. I'll try to put aside the fact that I'm ordering "marketing materials" for my adoption and think about it logically. Whoever thought of the pass along card idea is a bloody genius, really. Let's say I'm a senior in a high school; I get pregnant and decide to place my child for adoption. If my teacher tells me about some person she knows who is trying to adopt, dont you think I'm more likely to consider that, then some stranger from a website profile? It's like creating a bunch of little personal reference letters. Well...maybe not quite like that... But the point is - even though I think it feels weird to order them for yourself, I totally get the objective. And if we're lucky, maybe ours will reach someone who uses it.

So we're on the list... and now we wait. Anybody have any ideas? Tips? Maybe you know someone who has done all this before and found something particuarly helpful? I'm totally not above spreading myself around to help our chances of getting placed. Hee hee, that's terrible. But you know what? We're not getting any younger!! Well, in any case - we're just so grateful to finally be officially in the running. From here on out, we can take it on faith and know that when the time is right, we will be chosen. It feels great. :o)

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I hear that is the best way too. I have been spreading the word!!! I will be praying for you guys and hope you get a baby so soon!!! We need to come see your house when it is finished. Let us know and we will bring our girls:) Well if BD approves:)

Leah Sannar said...

Oh my gosh, that would be so fun! We will totally keep you posted and I can't wait to meet your newest one! (AND see Demi again, of course!)

Camey said...

My sister and brother inlawhave pass along cards too. They are with LDS as well. Just keep passing the word on!!

Leah Sannar said...

Hey Camey, I think I've seen their profile. How long have they been waiting?