Monday, May 9, 2011

Mother's Day 2011

Mother's Day has come and gone already... I just can't believe how fast time is going right now. I mean it seems like yesterday that I was Christmas shopping. I've already had a birthday and now Mother's Day... before we know it, summer will be here and gone.

Despite my best efforts, I feel like I can never fully show my Mom what she means to me. I don't think there's anything I could give her, or make her that would let her understand how she's shaped me into the person that I am today. How all the years of listening to me, teaching me, and being my mom/friend have turned me into a strong, confident woman that knows who she is and what she's about. This year, I decided to do a little craft project for her and I've postd some details below. I found this project on one of my favorite blogs, but I can't remember which one, so if you know where this is from, let me know!

I bought this frame at Hobby Lobby for 1/2 off and loved it because of the depth and detail. The three frames inside the one large frame was awesome, but black was not what I was looking for. I sorta had a vision in my mind of what I wanted.... so I visited the spray paint section. This picture below shows the pictures I wanted framed, but I haven't made any changes to the frame yet... It's kinda hard to read because I dont have an awesome camera yet... but it's all three of us kids names and birthdays. Leah Nichole, Lindsey Marie and Taylor Renee.

Then I went to the fabric section at Hobby Lobby and picked out 3 fabrics that I thought looked cute together. I wanted something Springy. What do you think?

Then I made strips for the fabric rosettes. I tore mine because the frayed edges added some detail that I liked. I found the tutorial for these adorable rosettes here at my very favorite blog.

After following her tutorial, I ended up with these adorable rosettes. I mean... I just love these things. I want to make hundreds and just fill my life with them. :o) (But I doubt the Hubster would like that.)

And then next came the spray paint. I went with white for the outside and the matting. And then I wanted a khaki color on the 3 inside frames. Here's what it looked like all taped with the white.

Then once the white dried, I taped it off and painted the khaki. At this point, I was freaking out because I wasnt loving this color... do you?


It sorta looks drab and dreary...

BUT - once I got the tape off and the paint dried, I loved the way it looked against the white!! So I put my papers back in the frames and cleaned the glass, and it looked like this!

I LOVED IT! I really debated on whether or not to put on the fabric flowers... but, since I worked so hard on them, I decided that I might as well. Plus I wanted a little more color. So a little hot glue, and VOILA!


What do you think?? I had a lot of fun with this project. It's the first thing I've ever done with spray paint, so even though there are flubs on there that I didn't show you, I learned a lot and will do better next time!

Then I made some brownies to take over to Mom's for our little Mother's Day get together... and it turns out, I am NOT a cake decorator. (er, brownies.) But you know what? She's my mommy, so she has to like it, even though it sorta looks like I let my nephews do this. :o)

Happy Mother's Day to my fabulous Mom. She really is the best there is, and the reason our family is what it is today. (which is freaking awesome.) I love you! 



No comments: