Thursday, May 12, 2011

Traumatic Day at MHR

So we (Mom & I) get back to work yesterday from lunch and realize that we missed all the drama! I guess I should start with the fact that I work on a big ranch type property with over 75 acres. Our office is literally in an old farmhouse. This is the view from our office: (ignore the dreary weather, we are on severe thunderstorm warning until 3pm today!)



So back to the real story: Apparently, a litter of bunnies was rescued from a snake who actually had one in his mouth! Of course, I immediately wanted to take one home and nurse it back to health. I had all these visions of hand feeding this adorable bunny rabbit that could fit right in the palm of your hand. They were so adorable, I was instantly in love. Well, then all the logical people got involved and they were calling some wildlife preserves and vet offices... all of whom said "Put them back where you found them because their best chance of survival is for the mother to come back at dusk." This was disheartening news for us because the farmhouse is most definitely home to many snakes. It's very old and built on pier and beam. The amount of snakes that are found, killed or escaped on this property is a number I choose to ignore for my sanity's sake. So we began to try and figure what the best decision was... I still wanted to take one home but was overruled and they were taken up to the women's facility, where they have a resident who has raised wild bunnies in the past and had some success. These little guys, from what I have read and understand, are VERY difficult to keep alive. So they went to the store, got the syringe and formula to feed the babies. I on the other hand, sat in the farmhouse and cried. I can't really explain it, other than to say I have a tendency to be a little irrational when it comes to baby animals and the thought that they might die. If any of you out there who are reading this, are surprised by my completely emotional reaction, you might not know me as well as you thought you did. :o) Embarrassing as it is to admit, I was upset all day over these sweet little bunnies and the idea that no matter what we did, their chances of survival were very slim. I mean look at these little babies:
And don't be fooled by this picture. You could easily put all of these babies in the palm of your hand at the same time. I mean, they were TINY. And SO sweet. You want to take one home too, dont you? I know...

The best news of all? I'm SO happy to report that our resident seems to have a knack for keeping little bunnies alive. Last night, she managed to get all of them to eat, and this morning they are all moving around and eating again. EVEN the little guy who was almost devoured by the snake. My heart is full. Maybe these little bunnies will make it after all... Now if that doesn't just make your day, I dont know what will.

No comments: